Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and ?? credit cards

Edward Middleton writes:

 > Standard FORTRAN77 doesn't support dynamic memory allocation, i.e. you
 > have to know the size of all matrix when you write the program

This is usually not a problem for the kinds of analysis I'm talking
about.  The data sets are infinitely large, but the whole point of the
analysis is to summarize them statistically and that reduces to a
matrix of known dimensions, independent of the number of observations.

 > FORTRANS major advantage is speed, but depending on what your doing
 > it is debatable whether it will be any faster then Matlab,

That depends on whether Matlab already has the optimized libraries.
This is unlikely for state-of-the-art crisis-causing derivative
securities and/or theoretical advances.