Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

Sach Jobb wrote:
>> No, not yet.  I have a one year work and travel visa and a 証明纔瘢韭絎竢蹠\xC2 閹
松 逋 笊鴪緕\xF4 痲糅纉\xF3 \xA8瘤\xE4 鼈阨趙 艱\xF4 逋 外人登録証 in a little over
>> two weeks).  I guess I should just go and try getting a bank account
>> then.  Any recommendations on a good bank to use if I plan to change
>> my location every now and then?
>
> I am also one of those people that is not very impressed with Japanese
> banks in general. These questions used to regularly go through my head
> all of the time when I was using UFJ, SMBC, 東京都民銀行, and Mizuho:
>
> * Why do the ATMs close at midnight or over holidays? Are there little
> people in there operating them manually that need to close up and
> catch the last train home? I wouldn't be surprised.

I believe the official reason is because they couldn't guarantee
customer security out of office hours.  This was the reason given to why
ATM's in convenience stores could offer 24 hour ATM service.

> * Why I am charged for using my own bank's ATM to withdrawal money
> later in the evening or over the weekend?

Because they can.  In the last 10 years Japanese banks have improved
massively.  If you go with an internet bank like SBI you have 24 hour
access and free withdrawal/deposit from 7-11 ATMs and pretty good
internet banking.  The catch being that all information is in Japanese
and there are no branches you can go to.

> * Why I am charged for making a transfer to someone using the same bank?

I don't believe this is the case with SBI but their might be a limit on
the number of transfers.

> * Not too annoyed by this one, but why do they all close their doors at 3PM?

As above, because they can.  The conspiracy theorists (realists;) have
it that they were all colluding to keep banking service cost high and
services poor.  I think the real reason had more to do with it being a
non-profit making business they were forced to support.  When postal
savings came in,  it was outside this, and offered slightly better
services and lower service costs to the chagrin of the banks.  Since
then a number of low cost banks have sprung up.

> Alexei just mentioned this a post or so back but I just recently got
> an account with Shinsei and was extremely impressed for all the
> reasons already mentioned plus a few more.

Shinsei is OK, when they first came out they were the only bank offering
this sort of low cost banking service.  Shinsei concerns me because, I
presume they are running the banking services at a loss and the
investment products[1], that I presume is their intended revenue stream,
weren't very competitive.

> They will give you an account if have a 外国人登録証明纔瘢韭絎竢蹠速 巣搐瘡踟\xAC 迴齡 矚鉉\xF3
\xBE 犾跛 粹 抅蜩\xAE 壽\xE5 竢闌 抅蜴\xE7 痰阨\xF4 嚠蜴黼\xE9 蜩 抅癆 籙\xF5 竅\xEE 緕扖\xF2 瘡\xEC
\xBE 閹 籙𣗄 鞳鴦闔瘡 籬懲 蜴捃 \xE1 竢逅楂纈 蜴齡縺\xE4 閹 葹海鈑 捃 肅跛 阨\xF4
\xBE 銛辣鳫椵 肬鴉\xF3 磔 葹鈔 抅癆 抅緕 齒辣 竟闥 竚纈蜒瘡 齡瘋\xE6 犾跛 葹洹
\xBE 轣銛瘡踟 緕扖\xF2 蜴捃 \xE1 竢逅楂纈\xAE 麗\xF4 矼肬鱚 艱揵蜴\xE7 葹鉉\xEF 瘰頏阮瘡 胙闕
\xBE 肅洹 迚粐跂 轣釶艱鴦\xAC 閹 竢𣗄黼\xAE 綜阡蒹\xF2 跚揵跂 抅蜴\xE7 抅癆 蜊頏纉黼\xE4
\xBE 辣 燾\xF3 抅纖 牖鱚 痰跂 捃 蜩齦\xE5 抅\xE5 竅鰾 闔 抅\xE5 齔阡  蜴齡縺\xE4 閹
\xBE 燾蜚蜴\xE7 肬\xF2 蜚 捃 矼 轣蛹繖 捃 辣\xAE

悲鉉錻\xF3 粹逾\xF4 鈬繖 捃 矼 瘰頏阮繖 瘤\xE4 迴齡 矚鉉\xF3 犾跛 纐緕 痺竇頸 抅\xE5
碓\xB0 篗\xEE 鼈關 洹鱸摑 ǒ蓍竏 蜩 捃懲跛\xF9 鱸粡笊跫椵·  賠揵蜴\xE7 \xE1 頏關纈踟
轣粤 悲鉉\xEF 蜩 揥蝟蛛\xEC 齒 蜚 蜩 縺皷纈 捃 褫齡 艱\xF4 闔\xE5 轣粤\xAE

塘燾鰾

窺 癆 跂癈\xF4 抅\xE5 闔纉 \xC9 跫闍繖 癆\xAE