Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

Having previously worked in a (non-Japanese) bank, I must beg to disagree. End of day accounting/closing procedures take that long to finish--my bank closed at 3 and it was a race to get everything done and reconciled before 5pm. I don't think Japanese banks can actually _force_ people to stay and do zangyou, even if there's unspoken pressure--if the clerks (and notice how most of them are women) want to go home and cook/care for their children, the banks can't stay open for transactions.

2 hours of work just to close the regular day? I think it definitely sounds like something to be fixed in their system - it's either bad design or extreme bureaucracy (or both :)

Best regards,
--
Alexei Anisimov