Re: [tlug] Accounting Systems and Speed of Reconciliation

I've had some experience with accounting and banking systems, and that
two-hour figure doesn't sound out of line to me.

Are you speaking from some sort of experience in accounting and consumer
banking, here? Could you tell us based on what evidence you feel this
could be done significantly faster? In other words, what are they missing
that you know about?

cjs

well, some 5 years ago I worked in a Russian bank (in IT department of course) in my home town and they somehow managed to close the day in less time - at least they did not close the gates 2 hours in advance.

And that bank was FAR from being a very advanced and modern one (mainly because the place itself is pretty far away from the "mainland" as we call it), they literally used computers only to work in Word/Excel files and play solitaire, pretty much nothing was automated at all. And it was pretty busy, because it was the only bank in our town.

Many banks in Novosibirsk where I studied and lived before moving to Tokyo work till 6-7 pm, and when I say work I mean they accept customers. Of course you cannot run into the bank 15 minutes before the end of the day and try to do something very complicated, but still - they do not close at 3 pm.

I really don't have any extensive experience in accounting and consumer banking, but it just seems strange to me to close at 3 pm. It is probably very convenient for the bank, but it's for sure not convenient for us, bank customers.

I have a question - how come other banks manage to stay opened for customers longer - do they really make their employees to stay late till 7-8 pm (until they close the day) on a regular basis? Or do they just have things set up somehow different?
Best regards,
--
Alexei Anisimov