Re: [tlug] The Android Has Landed

Godwin Stewart wrote:
Just bear in mind that 16GB cards are usually only class 2, which means
that they're significantly slower than your average class 4 or class 6 8GB
card.

Having been a written a software SD-card driver and debugged nearly-finished versions of a hardware SD-card interface on an FPGA, I have come to have a very negative opinion of most SD-cards. Many SD-cards will tend to wear out (get bad blocks) if repeatedly rewritten.

The so-called class numbers are just burst bandwidth for a very short time as far as my experience goes, and eventually all cards settle down to a slow crawl. Of course, some are slower than others but I wouldn't pay too much attention to the class numbers.

The well-known manufacturers are often worse than no-name brands, and tend to source their parts from different places. One card from a major manufacturer may contain very different internals from another despite being packaged identically, so published benchmarks are rendered useless :-(