Re: [tlug] BSD: Ports or Packages?

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Romeo Theriault
<romeo.theriault@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 19:36, Doug McLean <dmclean635@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> But, I'd be interested to hear from BSD-veterans (any flavor) what
>> they feel on the subject either from an administrative standpoint, or
>> just a hobbyist.
>
> Not that I'm BSD-veteran by any stretch of the imagination but from my
> standpoint I'd say using the prebuilt packages for software that you might
> not care if it's up to the latest revision is a good idea since it can save
> you some time and effort. It might also be a good idea for very large
> packages that time wise might be prohibitive to build. But for internet
> facing, production software I would build it myself so you can make sure it
> is up-to-date with the latest patches, etc....
>
> --
> Romeo Theriault
>
> --
> ASAHI Net.
> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

Thanks Romeo, Christian,

This was my assumption as well.  Ports, though time-consuming to
compile, seems to have one notable advantage in that you can install
the latest patches, for 0-day exploits and other problems.  So I was a
bit surprised by OpenBSD's comments, and wanted to get a
second-opinion.  :)

On the other hand, I was thinking about this, and was concerned about
potential resource issues if the hosts are not that robust.  I take it
that you guys have not had such issues, right?

Christian: haven't touched pkgsrc much...will delve in further.

Thanks!

--
Doug McLean

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/