Re: [tlug] BSD: Ports or Packages?

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 19:36, Doug McLean <dmclean635@example.com> wrote:
But, I'd be interested to hear from BSD-veterans (any flavor) what
they feel on the subject either from an administrative standpoint, or
just a hobbyist.

Not that I'm BSD-veteran by any stretch of the imagination but from my standpoint I'd say using the prebuilt packages for software that you might not care if it's up to the latest revision is a good idea since it can save you some time and effort. It might also be a good idea for very large packages that time wise might be prohibitive to build. But for internet facing, production software I would build it myself so you can make sure it is up-to-date with the latest patches, etc....

--
Romeo Theriault