[tlug] BSD: Ports or Packages?

Hello everyone!

Lately, thanks to extensive use of VirtualBox lately, I've been
rediscovering the joys of OpenBSD, which I haven't used in years.[1]
There's nothing funner than building a system up from scratch, and so
I am busy getting all the apps on there.  Since I haven't used BSD in
a while, I'd like to open the discussion to fellow users and ask, what
is your preference?  Ports or packages?

OpenBSD has very nice docs on the subject, summed up here:

"The package system also helps ensure nothing is deleted by accident,
causing software to stop functioning properly. Another advantage is
that users rarely need to compile software from source, as packages
have already been compiled and are available and ready to be used on
an OpenBSD system. In minutes, a large number of packages can be
fetched and installed, with everything in the right place. "

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#Intro

But, I'd be interested to hear from BSD-veterans (any flavor) what
they feel on the subject either from an administrative standpoint, or
just a hobbyist.

Thanks in advance!

[1] Since the little one was born, I had to remove all my computer
equipment, save for our lone Mac Mini, which my wife doesn't want me
to monkey around with.  :)  I can't tell you how happy I am to see the
progress in virtualization lately!   Off-topic, but recently I
discovered I can play classic Total Annihiliation (a windows game) on
a virtual Ubuntu instance (using WINE) running on a Mac pretty
seamlessly.   Windows game on Linux running on a Mac...who would've
thought possible years ago?  人生が面白いですね?:)

--
Doug McLean

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/