Re: SCIM working! (Was: Re: [tlug] Re: EeePC so far)

2009/2/21 Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com>:
> 2009/2/20 Jake Knickerbocker <jake.knickerbocker@example.com>:
>> Are you by chance use the default Xandros installation?
[...]
>> If so I
>> believe they have replaced init with finit (fast init), in which case all
>> of the rc*.d scripts are being completely ignored and the actual service
>> starts will be (I think) coming from:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/services.sh
>
> Bloody hell. The swine.

OK, so I can stoke up daemons in there. I added:
/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d canna start
to the end of that file, and I now have canna launched at boot time.

scim is being launched OK, and I suspect it's being started
as part of X's initialization.

[I have had an interesting few days with the EeePC. One frustration
is the simplistic desktop, and on Friday I came across some
instructions on how to change it to a full desktop. See:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/06/eee-pc-tips-a-crash-course-in-linux/

I went ahead with this and it totally blew away my desktop. I ended
up doing a total re-install (the EeePC has a read-only partition for this)
I was so annoyed I had to put it away for a few days to cool down. I got
it out this morning and (re)installed scim, anthy, etc. and I'm on my
way back to where I was.]

Thanks everyone for the help.

Jim
--