Re: SCIM working! (Was: Re: [tlug] Re: EeePC so far)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:21:50AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Jim Breen writes:
>
>  > Done. It made no difference; nothing was written to
>  > /var/log/canna.start.log and canna didn't start.
>
> For future reference, the *creation* of canna.start.log is done by the
> shell when it encounters the redirection "> canna.start.log".  Also,

which means the init script was not called at all, which is rather
strange.

> it may be useful to use a public directory such as /tmp in case
> there's a permissions issue (shouldn't be, but you never know,
> especially with these "let's not scare the user" distros).

errr, you mean that one way of not scaring the users is not to run init
scripts as root?? ;)
And actually I didn't redirect to /tmp/foo on purpose to avoid having
the file vanish between reboots in case it was needed.

>  > Can anyone suggest a boot-time script where I can safely start canna?
>  >
>  > /usr/bin/startx ??
>  > /etc/X11/Xsession ??
>  > /etc/X11/init/initrc ??
>  >
>  > (just picking a few from "ps -ef")
>
> Gag me.  I mean, WTF?
>
> I would use Xsession.  They're all safe in the sense that if they work
> at all they'll work fine, but normally startx is a user command, and
> /etc/X11/init I've never heard of before.  I wouldn't count on them
> hanging around for the next revision of the OS....

he probably mistyped init for xinit.

Debian uses /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ to store scripts that are sourced by
/etc/X11/Xsession when X starts. Makeing one for canna there shouldn't
be too hard.
Otherwise you may as well just have the gnome-session starting canna
when you log in.

cheers
--
mattia