Re: [tlug] Disabling "Expire Messages" Function in KMail

On Friday February 6 2009 10:31, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>And who changes every year? Not me.

I don't either. In 2001 i evaluated Linux e-mail clients. I don't recall
now which client i settled on, but once or twice per year it would
crash in such a way that my mail got corrupted. I was always able to
fix it and get everything back, but it would waste an hour or two of my
time. So i think around 2003 or 2004 i switched to KMail and haven't
had any problems since.

I don't really understand the purpose of the expire feature the original
poster brought up. Of course i disabled it. I'm guessing someone who
actually wants their e-mail client to automatically delete messages
uses e-mail very differently from me or any of my coworkers or friends
who all take a more archivist approach.

If i were to evaluate e-mail clients today, i'd probably give
Thunderbird a closer look simply because it is cross platform and
because i like Firefox. I'm not saying i'd choose it over KMail (or
anything else), but since KMail is the only KDE application i use, if i
were to stop using it i could save some RAM and disk space by not
having all the KDE dependencies installed. (Of course RAM and hard
drives are so cheap now that that argument doesn't mean as much as it
did circa 5 years ago when i decided on KMail originally.)