Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: drive order; hard and optical drive names

jep200404 writes:

 > > What rules govern drive order in Kubuntu?
 >
 > That's an good question.

This is OS-dependent, even version-dependent.  It's best to assume
that it's random, except that the boot drive will normally be "a"
(/dev/hda or /dev/sda)[1], and that it will be consistent for a given
kernel, as long as BIOS settings and hardware configuration are not
changed.

What's more interesting is the mapping of hardware to mount points.
Here Kubuntu uses UUIDs of hard drives, and you can assume
consistency.

 > (man e2label). I don't know if fstab allows you to specify
 > VFAT volume labels. That's an exercise for you to figure out
 > much later.

'man fstab' implies it doesn't allow volume labels for VFAT yet.  Only
for ext2/3 and xfs.

Footnotes:
[1]  However, the boot drive attached to my separate Promise
controller was /dev/hde, so this is not an absolute rule.