Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /dev/scd0 versus /dev/sdc

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:30:00 +0900, David Bernat <dbernat@example.com> wrote:

> sdb is the external USB hard disk
> sdc is the internal DVD drive

Are today's sdb1 DVD-RAM drive and yesterday's sdc DVD drive the same drive?

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:31:35 -0400, I wrote:

> I wonder if the drive names (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, ...)
> got reordered in the upgrade.

... or just in plugging them in, in different orders,
or plugging them in different ports.

That sdb was a USB hard drive before and is now a DVD-RAM drive,
reinforces that wonder.

I have a bad feeling about drives being plugged in and
removed. One time they can be sdb, another time sdc.
This can make a mess of fstab, making one want to lock
things down with filesystem labels (e2label) or UUIDs,
or messing with udev rules. Right now you have a wiggly
bowl of warm Jello.

Back to what you wrote today:

> sdb1 burner DVD-RAM mount point /etc

I'm surprised that a DVD drive appears as an /dev/sdx
instead of /dev/scdx.
Do you have DVD-RAM media in your DVD drive?
If so, as what filesystem have you mounted the DVD-RAM media?
Is it writable?

What drive is /dev/scd0 in your system?
Do you have another optical drive?