Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /dev/scd0 versus /dev/sdc

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:30:00 +0900, David Bernat <dbernat@example.com> wrote:

> fstab contains the following information
> /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660
> user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
> /dev/sdc1 /home auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
> /dev/sdb1 /etc auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

> sda is the internal hard disk in the laptop
> sdb is the external USB hard disk
> sdc is the internal DVD drive

Are you sure that sdc is the internal DVD drive?

On my 8.04 Ubuntu installation, the DVD drive shows up as
/dev/scd0, not /dev/sdc. The /dev/scd0 line in your fstab
looks similar mine, with the exactly the same mount points.
/media/cdrom0 makes sense as mount point to a DVD drive.

The /dev/sdc1 line in your fstab has a mount point of /home.
Both the device name and the mount point make sense for
a hard drive like medium, but not for a DVD drive.

Please tell us more about /dev/sdc.
Do you have another hard drive or flash drive involved?

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:31:35 -0400, I wrote:

> I wonder if the drive names (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, ...)
> got reordered in the upgrade.

I wonder about that again. I wonder if sdb and sdc got swapped.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:01:34 +0900, David Bernat <dbernat@example.com> wrote:

> Attaching a new 1.0 terabyte external USB hard disk causes exactly the
> same problem.

When did you first attach that new 1TB external USB hard drive?
How similar was that time to when you upgraded to Hardy Heron?