Re: [tlug] Hard Drive Failure (Was: Help! Total hardware failure)

2008/9/15 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>
On 2008-09-14 19:54 +0900 (Sun), Mark Makdad wrote:

Actually, 500 GB drives are currently between 6,000 and 7,000 yen each.
So you could set up basically the same NAS for 14,000 yen plus a bit of
time to set up RAID and Samba on a desktop comptuter. If you're missing
the desktop computer, that would set you back another 30,000 yen or so
for a very basic configuration (motherboard with built-in video, cheap
CPU, a half gig of RAM, and case).

A basic machine with a gig of RAM an AMD Sempron 3000+ and a 500Gb
drive is a smidgen under 29,000 yen from these guys:

http://www.faith-go.co.jp/pc/model/?id=73686

Hit the 'Customise' button and upgrade the 80Gb drive to 500...

I'd get one myself if I had a spare 30,000. My PC is basically dead and I'm writing this from 'er indoors' iBook :(

Wayne