Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

What does your contract make clear. It was my understanding that, in general, landlords don't own the utility poles outside there building so it isn't up to them to decide how they are used. Generally contracts only require authorization to make modifications to the building i.e. punching holes through walls.

But in order to make use of what's on the utility pole (assuming a wired conection, as opposed to something like Tepco wireless), the cable has to eventually come onto the property and attach to the building somehow. That they *do* control.

Way back when, when I was researching ADSL providers, they pretty much all had a step in the process that included getting permission from the owner of the property if new cable was required (but not if the ADSL was to use the pre-existing phone wires).

Before USEN would pull fiber in my current apartment, they required the permission of the landlord (actually, the management company for the complex). No holes were involved -- the fiber was pulled through the existing utility conduits from the pole to my apartment.

I think anything that results in new wiring to/from/within the building is considered "construction" in Japan and is subject to landlord approval. At the very least, it's certainly not surprising that any communications provider would refuse to string new wiring without prior approval.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.