Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

Curt Sampson wrote:
No. I have VDSL to the MDF (Main Distribution Frame--the telephone
cabinet on the ground floor of the building where the telco demarcation
point is), and it's fibre from there. (This is known as "Mansion
fibre.")

OK, I don't know anything about Mansion fiber except that a I have heard a number of people complain about it. I had presumed they would give you an Ethernet connection from MDF. I have a 30m[1] Ethernet cable connecting the modem to the router, so my setup isn't exactly ideal, but doesn't seem to present any issues.

This VDSL is rather different from ADSL; it is the same speed in both
directions, runs over much, much shorter distances, and should generally
do 100 Mbps or something close to it.

As I said, I saw the tests that the telco guy was doing during the
install, and he was getting 70-80 Mbps to something on the other side of
that modem.

Was the telco guy connecting from the MDF or your VDSL end to getting 70-80 Mbps? With B-Flets you can connect to the Flets Square[2]? without an ISP which will allow you to just test the line speed.

I wonder if whatever is multiplexing the VDSL connections over the
mansion fibre is the problem here.

That sounds likely.

Edward

1. I had to go through the air conditioning vent at the back of the property because the owner wouldn't allow any holes.
2. It might be called something slightly different, I don't remember but it shouldn't be too hard to find.