Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

inefficiency .... the japanese companies will however pride themselves in their efficiency to get all their reports and work perfectly done. To them, that's what worth working for. Foreign companies to them, face the risk of producing bad quality work and on pursuing half hearted and incomplete work through lots of short cuts. Even if the Japanese companies do not prioritize enough, they pride themselves in their good work ethic and in establishing work processes that do not emphasize short cuts. Its a cruel way to separate the zombies and those who could understand work life balance and reward the zombies. To justify this, the zombies will question top management if top management would instead shoulder the risk to apologise to their clients should an approach to prioritize work result in errors and bad quality work. most of the time, top management will say - lets stick to the good Old japanese work processes and not cause any trouble.

So how do you get around to convince the top management that you can do a better job than those zombies? Even before showing results, you are not allowed to do it differently and spoil order. Thats the Japanese work order paradox....