work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:55:39PM +0100, Jon Povey wrote:

> I am a 28-year-old embedded linux developer in England looking to find
> work in Tokyo. I visited Japan for the first time a year ago, fell in
> love with the place, went back in the spring (sakura, of course) and now
> want to emigrate there.

I was also at Tokyo and struggle with myself on applying there,
2 another topics come up:

Working times. The workplace i was at (branch of it-corporation) was
expecting people to stay longer than agreed in the contract. Seems to be
common japanese style, but i also talked to guys at the tlug-meeting
working for companies "originally from western world", that only
"have to do their work" and see no increased value in regularly ex-
tending worktimes of their employees.
Whats common style there?

Living/renting a flat. Since flats seem to be really expensive in Tokyo
people live around, from what ive seen people had to travel 60-120minutes
one way to get to/from work, sounds quite much.
How well could you people manage to optimize ways to/from work?

Christian