Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:55:39PM +0100, Jon Povey wrote:
>>
>> I am a 28-year-old embedded linux developer in England looking to find
>> work in Tokyo. I visited Japan for the first time a year ago, fell in
>> love with the place, went back in the spring (sakura, of course) and now
>> want to emigrate there.
>
> I was also at Tokyo and struggle with myself on applying there,
> 2 another topics come up:
>
> Working times. The workplace i was at (branch of it-corporation) was
> expecting people to stay longer than agreed in the contract. Seems to be
> common japanese style, but i also talked to guys at the tlug-meeting
> working for companies "originally from western world", that only
> "have to do their work" and see no increased value in regularly ex-
> tending worktimes of their employees.
> Whats common style there?

I can only tell from the stuff I learn in university (modern japan
sciences) - but in Japanese companies サービス残業 (service overtime) are
usual and expected.
Affiliates and branches of western companies usually do not expect it;
one of the reasons why young Japanese prefer to work there, too.

From my own experience with the western world: If you earn a certain
amount of money, they expect you that you get your work done and one
shouldn't be afraid of overtime.

> Living/renting a flat. Since flats seem to be really expensive in Tokyo
> people live around, from what ive seen people had to travel 60-120minutes
> one way to get to/from work, sounds quite much.
> How well could you people manage to optimize ways to/from work?

Sleeping in the train ;)
Checking mail, reading news, learning Japanese with flash cards or
manga…but I've didn't had a job in Tokyo where I had to "optimize" my
time

Niels