Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

Whats common style there?

Depends on a lot of things. I don't think what you're talking about is prevalent in tech circles -- at least I haven't seen it much. I know as many people who work 10am to 5pm as I do workaholics. I knew one guy who worked 8am to 11pm but whenever he wasn't on the phone with a customer service call, he would sit at his desk reading comics.

How well could you people manage to optimize ways to/from work?

Japan has these fascinating things called trains. If you've ever lived near a large metropolitan US city like New York, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, you might have noticed that 60 minutes is not considered a
long commute. The difference is that, on the train, you get to read the latest issue of Linux Journal instead of swearing at the driver in front of you ;-)...

It's all relative, you know...

BTW, I live *and* work within the Tokyo city limits and my commute (when I go into the office at all, which is rare) is still 75 minutes.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.