Re: [tlug] Once again - japanese input problems

> The IME from M$ is imho the best but unavailalbe to Mac OS X and
> Linux. I never figured out a difference between anthy and canna and
> began to use anthy because it was available for the Zaurus and
> nowadays it's the first thing I think of when installing a new box.
> Maybe it's just the popularity-fact. I would have liked to use Kasumi
> though. I never tried PRIME though and I do not "feel" any difference
> between Kotoeri, Anthy and Canna.
> The same for Scim and UIM. I am used to use Scim (in the "old" days
> when I used SUSe I used Kinput2) and therefore I use that. But I guess
> it's just out of popularity. As long as I get my input done, maybe be
> able to easily add new words to the dictionary and have the possiblity
> not just being able to Japanese but Korean as well I am happy.

Nor do I see any difference in Canna and Anthy. I use Anthy as Canna
stopped working for me for some reason. I now use UIM because kinput2
was too old and never really worked anywhere. I could never get scim
working, but uim works out of the box and looks the same on QT and GTK
apps which is very nice.

I don't even see a difference between IME and the osx input stuff. The
only thing I really like on the osx way is, that if you type something
in japanese and actually wanted to write it in english its just a
double keypress to get it into normal english.

Probably that also can be done with IME and linux stuff, but I never
found out how.

Big missing thing in OS X input stuff is the "drawing field" like IME
has, this is really kick ass for searching kanji.

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com