Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

On 5/24/08, jmglov@example.com <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 23/05/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > You know you're in big trouble when the sound of your own name is the knell of
>  > doom.[2]
>  >

> > [2]  I'm quoting, presumably, SF or SF-oid fantasy.  Anybody have a
>  > cite?
>

> I'm guessing Terry Pratchet.

I never understood his popularity.  I read one of his books in Kobe and it is a
tribute to my desperation for anything English, that I finished it.
(This would put
it ahead of The Hobbit - I *never* finished that book).

Googling for "death knell" found this essay:
http://www.cyberconf.org/~cynbe/rants/lastdino.htm

which *is* on topic, though in a sad sort of way.

-sb