Re: [tlug] Fun with Kubuntu 8.04

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:32 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

This is a "so what did I screw up" kind of reply ...
/../
The UIM setup is set to "Default"

Maybe try installing the uim-gnome/gtk widget (I forget what it is
called in Ubuntu). Add the UIM widget to your task bar (or not if you
already did this).

Thanks. That got Japanese working and brought this much closer to success. And caused one other problem that is more related to the way I use a windowed desktop than anything else.

First, it appears that part of the problem was that "Default" means that /all/ alternatives to the main language are removed. I had to specify Anthy and then 日本語 began to happen. Except I am having problems turning it on and off.

It appears that there is a way that I use the "I" + "Shft" + "Space" keys together or in close proximity that triggers a switch from Direct Input (Romaji -> Romaji) to Romaji -> kana -> kanji conversion. Using "Ctrl" + "Space" does nothing despite being what is specified to switch between languages and I have finally learned to switch it off again using the toolbar. I haven't been able to figure out the right combination of commands that allow me to just switch between Direct Input and Anthy from the keyboard (although I have studiously avoided making any changes to that section in UIM Setup) and would welcome suggestions ... other than "Go back to using XP."

Which brings us neatly to the next problem ... how do you disconnect the toolbar from the panel so it floats? I use a screen that has the panel all the way up the left side and the toolbar is a horizontal panel kinda' app. Right now, I can only see two of the five or six toolbar items in the panel at any one time. I'd like to let it float on the desktop but would accept a lesson on how to change the toolbar orientation to vertical as a distant second option.

--
CL