Re: [tlug] Fun with Kubuntu 8.04

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:

>  Same here.  I even installed the whole thing in Japanese to get
>  Japanese, and now I've got all Japanese menus, but no Japanese input.
>  As a stopgap measure (it's working otherwise), I pulled out two
>  retired boxes and - combining the best of their combined parts into
>  one box - set up a new test box and put in Suse 10.3, which took a
>  long time to install (about four or five hours), but is working fine
>  now.  I don't know why Ubuntu/Kubuntu can''t come up with a similar
>  arrangement - you set the language you want to install in and that you
>  want all your menus to be in, and then you set a secondary language,
>  for which you get support without jumping through 39 hoops and walking
>  over hot coals.  It *just works* (TM).

Thats just one big problem in Linux. But you can make it work by hand
(like everything in linux). I have all in english (LANG=en_US.UTF-8)
but I also have full japanese support (read/write).

I use UIM with anthy backend, works perfect in gnome & kde and looks
everywhere the same (thats whie I love UIM).

Just throw those lines into your .xinitrc:

export XMODIFIERS="@im=uim"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="uim"
export XIM_PROGRAM="uim"
uim-xim --engine=anthy &

that should do it. There is even a nice "floating" or dockable thing
like in windows/mac, and once you map your japanese keys, it works
like everywhere. The only thing I miss is the Mac OS X way of tapping
twice the Esui key to get Romaji back when you type japanese and
actually wanted to type something in english.

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com