Re: [tlug] Fun with Kubuntu 8.04

Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

Thats just one big problem in Linux. But you can make it work by hand
(like everything in linux). I have all in english (LANG=en_US.UTF-8)
but I also have full japanese support (read/write).

I use UIM with anthy backend, works perfect in gnome & kde and looks
everywhere the same (thats whie I love UIM).

Just throw those lines into your .xinitrc:

export XMODIFIERS="@im=uim"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="uim"
export XIM_PROGRAM="uim"
uim-xim --engine=anthy &

that should do it. There is even a nice "floating" or dockable thing
like in windows/mac, and once you map your japanese keys, it works
like everywhere. The only thing I miss is the Mac OS X way of tapping
twice the Esui key to get Romaji back when you type japanese and
actually wanted to type something in english.

This is a "so what did I screw up" kind of reply ...

When I reinstalled 8.04 from a CD instead of keeping the upgrade, I wound up with no language support except English. In case it turns out to mean something, I also installed support for KDE 4, which has no apparent language support or other country options even now; but KDE 3.5.9 _does_ and that's the desktop I am running.

So I loaded up Synaptic and installed language support for English, Japanese, German, Long-form Chinese and Short-form Chinese (Before you ask ... yes, I can ... even though I try very hard not to attempt writing a couple of them unless I am out of other options).

I installed uim-xim using apt and a re-check of using apt-get at the command line tells me the installation is complete and up-to-date.

A check of my language presets say:

~# cat /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

~# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales...

  de_AT.UTF-8... up-to-date
  de_BE.UTF-8... up-to-date
  de_CH.UTF-8... up-to-date
  de_DE.UTF-8... up-to-date
  de_LU.UTF-8... up-to-date
  en_AU.UTF-8... done
  en_BW.UTF-8... done
  en_CA.UTF-8... done
  en_DK.UTF-8... done
  en_GB.UTF-8... done
  en_HK.UTF-8... done
  en_IE.UTF-8... done
  en_IN.UTF-8... done
  en_NZ.UTF-8... done
  en_PH.UTF-8... done
  en_SG.UTF-8... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
  en_ZA.UTF-8... done
  en_ZW.UTF-8... done
  ja_JP.UTF-8... done
  zh_CN.UTF-8... done
  zh_HK.UTF-8... done
  zh_SG.UTF-8... done
  zh_TW.UTF-8... done

I then switched to root (via "kdesu") and used Kate to include the lines five lines suggested above in my
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file, and then saved.

The UIM setup is set to "Default"

.... and I don't see the floating bar, nor can I input Japanese, although I can read Japanese encoded web sites just fine.