Re: [tlug] Why Vista Sucks (was: linux: it's becoming ubiquitous)

SL Baur writes:

 > No, you completely miss the point too, because that *is* the point.
 >
 > The standards don't specify that because HTML was not designed or intended
 > to be a visual rendering standard.  NOR SHOULD IT BE.

I don't see your point.  CSS *is* intended to be a rendering standard,
and it isn't restricted to visual rendering.

Sure, HTML has been abused, especially in the 3.x era where the
standards actually incorporated much of the abuse with malice
aforethought.  However, with the advent of HTML 4 the abuse has been
deprecated, the rendering stuff moved into CSS, and it does indeed
make sense to take a picture of what the screen should look like if
CSS is involved.

The HTML in these tests is pretty trivial, just enough to hang the
relevant CSS thingies on.