Re: [tlug] Abiword and Japanese

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:50:45PM +0100, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
> Hi!
>
> that couldn't be repaired)  and mistakes by me (like setting the
> root-bash to /usr/local/bin/bash and not putting an editor into /bin

Never do that.  For more information than you want to know,

http://freebsdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34243

> (why isn't in FreeBSD actually at least one editor that can be used
> when /usr cannot be mounted?)) I had to reinstall my system.

Most of the time, once you've mounted / you can usually also mount /usr.
I did it the other day when changing the BIOS from IDE legacy to AHCI
changed how it saw the disks--suddenly, what had been ad0 was now ad10.

mount -u /
mount -a
will usually mount /usr too.  At that point you can use vi.

There's also a vi in /rescue, but it's pretty useless as there won't be
a termcap entry for it.

> Abiword will only show ° when I type Japanese (not using a dedicated
> font for Japanese) or just white space when using a font for Japanese.
> Any ideas what the problem could be?

I would try running it from terminal with something like
XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 abiword

Abiword and OpenOffice can be picky with Japanese in FreeBSD.  I usually
have to move from en_US.UTF-8 to ja_JP.UTF-8 for openoffice to work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: A slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't
in the brochure.