Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

Attila Kinali writes:

 > Eg. just try to compile some software that wasn't touched
 > since 2000 or so. You'll have a hard time, believe me.

Not at all.  At

http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Tools/XEmacs/neenerneener.txt

you will find the build log (beta.err) of

cd /tmp
wget --no-passive-ftp ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/xemacs-21.4.0.tar.gz
tar xzf xemacs-21.4.0.tar.gz
cd xemacs-21.4.0
(./configure && make && make check ) > beta.err 2>&1
(./configure --with-database=no && make && make check ) > beta.err 2>&1

(Sorry about the overwrite of beta.err, I was using history.)  Pretty
good for a tarball that hasn't been changed since I put it there on
Tax Day, 2001.  (April 15, for non-USians.)

This is on a 6-month-old gentoo system, with gcc 3.4.6 and
libc-2.7.so.  I haven't bothered to check what all goodies were
autodetected and compiled in, but it's in the log if you wish.

Oh, yeah, why did I have to turn off the database interface?  Berkeley
DB.  To those who've worked with it, I doubt I need say another word.