Re: [tlug] Keitai sessions not persistent?

On 2008-03-10 10:00 +0900 (Mon), Josh Glover wrote:

> Most Japanese phones do not support cookies.

Actually, many do, with the notable exception of all Docomo phones
(unless the client is using the PC browser, which is a pretty rare
thing).

> If you register your site as an official site with DoCoMo, AU, and
> SoftBank, you'll be able to use the device ID of the phone, which will
> be sent in the HTTP request headers.

Actually, for an official site you more often use the subscriber
contract ID, which stays the same (or similar) even when a user changes
phones. AU appears to give you this subscriber ID in the headers
even for unofficial sites. Some Vodafone phones also used to give
unofficail sites this as well; many did not. (I'm not sure about the
current Softbank system.) Docomo, if you're an official site, replaces
NULLGWDOCOMO in the query string with the subscriber ID (it's not in the
headers, as far as I know), otherwise gives you nothing. However, you
can request that the phone send the handset ID on a particular GET or
POST, but the user will get a dialog box to confirm whether or not she
actually wants to send it.

cjs