Re: [tlug] Apache MPM performance

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
Hi all,

A cool feature of Sun T5220 server is that it has 8 cores, and supports up to 64 threads.
The brochure says so what I don't think I know how to get the most out of it! ( multithread! )

To benchmark Apache 1.3. 37 and Apache 2.2.8 MPM on T5220, I install both version
of Apache into T5220 ( from source ), enable Apache module on 2.2.8
( on 1.3.37, MPM is turned on by default ), then I run the ab from another host.
The commands looks like:

( Apache 1.3.37 runs on port 80 )
ab -k -c 1000 -t 30 http://t5220_ip/~vuhung/home/tmp/file.jpg <http://t5220_ip/%7Evuhung/home/tmp/file.jpg>

( Apache 2.2.8 runs on port 8011 )
ab -k -c 100 -t 30 http://t5220_ip:8011/real_09.jpg
Why do you run two different tests? Accessing two different files, and running the tests with different options sounds like a bad idea if you want ot compare the results.

I'd re-run with the same options for both versions, probably the tests should be ran several times. I would also be interesting to know what happens on the server during the tests. Memory pressure, CPU load, context switches, that kind of things.

-sig

--
Sigurd Urdahl
Linux, goofing, cooking, making fire, computer security, having a