Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

On 2007-11-26 14:29 +0900 (Mon), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Well, all I know is Wikipedia-level stuff, but my understanding is
> that although Blu-ray has better physical specs per layer, HD-DVD can
> pretty much match them with addition of a third layer.

Yes, but Blu-ray can add extra layers too. Both technologies have
ten-layer disks in the lab.

> More important, HD-DVD players are quite a bit more advanced at this
> point...

Really? I wasn't aware of this. What's more advanced about them?

> and Blu-ray's early lead in the number of players could be reversed
> within the year depending on shifting industrial alliances more than
> anything else.

I'd be surprised. The PS3 isn't going to do anything but go down in
price, and the technology is still at a stage where only early adopters
are going to be buying dedicated players.

But everything else aside, I think that the key difference here is that
if I go and buy a drive (outside of a PS3) in the near future, I'll be
buying one that can read both formats, so I'd feel quite comfortable
getting one that writes Blu-ray instead of HD-DVD. And in the end, both
are somewhat proprietary standards, anyway. As is DVD, for that matter,
though it more or less opened up enough in the end.

cjs
Starling Software     <office-admin@example.com>