Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

Curt Sampson writes:

 > The Librie was a classic Sony failure:

I *wish* it was "classic *SONY*", but unfortunately it's more like
"classic nihon denshiya".  Remember the Zaurus?  The Toshiba 3.5"
1.2MB floppy?  How about "PC kyu hachi" with the PC98-only plugs for
everything from the audio cards to the mouse?  I didn't mind the PC98
fiasco personally, I brought a nice mail-order PC from the US (the
tower case is still in service), but I figure the NEC lockin of the
government and many large companies (not to mention consumers)
probably set Japan's computing and Internet cultures back by a decade.

And it's almost hysterical the way the Japanese denshiya are repeating
the Betamax fiasco with Bloo-Ray.[1]  Same time, same channel, same
leading actors just about.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloo for the etymology of this spelling.