[tlug] Help: unrecognized disk

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. Trying to
do a Kubuntu install for a family member on an oldish tower PC.
Kubuntu doesn't see any hard disk at all, but I can boot up Knoppix
5 which sees the disk and using which I partitioned it in
preparation for the install.

There was a little weirdness even on Knoppix at the start, because the
first thing I did was to "shred" the entire device (using Knoppix).
Something about the previous Windows install was giving my cousin
trouble reinstalling Windows, which was the "in" I needed :-)  I figured
it might help to wipe the entire disk.  After that, I partitioned with
cfdisk, and double-checked it with QParted.  QParted doesn't see the
partition types for some reason, although cfdisk does.  Other than that,
it certainly seems that the disk is in a normal state, with a good
partition table.

And yet.... Kubuntu 7.10 can't see it.  Any help much appreciated.

Dave