Re: [tlug] Travel

Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On 10/18/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
Jonathan Byrne wrote:
Anyway, there's a tokkyu train from Sasebo to Fukuoka, and then it's
not that long of a flight to Haneda,

The tokkyu is quite nice. I have taken it several times. It is
extremely easy to get to the Fukuoka Airport from Hakata, but you should
also check out sleeper trains.

Aren't the overnight buses the cheapest way to get from city to city now? I hate them (the seats are too narrow, so if you wind up next to someone unpleasant, they are h**l), but that was definitely the cheapest way to get to Nagoya when I visited the Expo there a couple of years back, and I know a college student who takes overnight buses up to Sendai regularly because it's the cheapest way. Nagoya is close, and Sendai is still closer than Kyushu, so maybe they don't have them running that far from Tokyo?

I agree that the buses are cheaper than the trains but, when the purpose of the travel is to get out and _DO_ something, they're not good value for money. A sleeper train lets you lay down to sleep and you're still able to get up and walk around in the morning. I've been stuck taking them to get to a few meetings some small, unpleasant towns at an early hour. When you're over 180cm, the bus seats are all too small and I've had back and leg problems (cramps, especially) bad enough to require taking a taxi just to get to the meeting on time.

There is a kosoku bus network that covers the entire country and feeds in to more local feeder routes. In some cases they're faster than trains. But, the only example I can think of off the top of my head is access to the big narrow valley that runs into Nagano from Aichi (Toyohashi). Ekisupaato also covers this network.

--
CL