Re: [tlug] Travel

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

Anyway, there's a tokkyu train from Sasebo to Fukuoka, and then it's
not that long of a flight to Haneda, so don't think you're off the
hook for nomikai that easily ;)

The tokkyu is quite nice. I have taken it several times. It is extremely easy to get to the Fukuoka Airport from Hakata, but you should also check out sleeper trains. I found out about them when the dollar was in the toilet and payments were up to 20% under what I was used to. you sleep over as far as Osaka, switch to a regular train to arrive in Tokyo at early morning. From Tokyo, the sleeper train to Osaka leaves about midnight (giving ample time to get seriously drunk) and gets you to Shin-Osaka around 0700. Overall, it costs less than flying and staying in a cheap hotel for one night. I've done the sleeper train to Osaka, Shimonoseki, Hakata, and Sapporo.

--
CL