Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

On 9/7/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> Well, we have a home package, and we didn't get a router.

I'm surprised. Did you specifically ask to not have a router provided?
If so I would suspect Lyle's friend to want the easiest solution. ISP
provided router with his LAN (or single box) sitting behind it. In
this case Linux or any other OS will happily sit on that LAN and be
able to surf the net.

If not then Lyle's friend would most definitely need to determine if
his Linux box will play nicely with the ISPs setup. Or if he has the
ability to make it play nicely ;-)

> > A business line is of course a totally different kettle of fish. for
> > example a business USEN line will come with a media converter (fibre
> > to copper) and nothing else. Plugging your box directly into the media
> > converter works as USEN also provides DHCP services directly.
>
> As does the "8-IP-Address" home Usen service.

Never used a USEN home package. Thanks for the info.

My point about business lines being different form home packages was
more to highlight that with a home service you should expect an ISP
provided router to be available and offered by default. A business
line is usually the other way around.

Regards, Keith