Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

Lyle H Saxon さんは書きました:
> I just got off the phone with a friend I've helped with computer
> issues for years (from buying used equipment to setting up various
> things).  He lives in a building that has just recently been wired
> with glass and an NTT salesperson tried to talk him into dumping his
> current ADSL and going with Hikari Fiber.  My friend asked the NTT man
> if it would work okay with Linux and the guy had never heard of
> Linux.....
>
> I'm assuming that Kubuntu will "just work" by plugging into it, but
> I'm not sure.
It works.

> Has anyone made the switch to glass from copper?
I did
> Were
> there any problems in doing so?
No, I think all you have to do is make your computer an DHCP client,
which is the default configuration of most computers now.
>  Can you just unplug a router and
> switching hub from an ADSL box (Yahoo) and plug it into the Hikari
> Fiber box and go happily surfing away?
Yes, having a router between the Internet and his computer makes his
computer more secure.
> I told by friend that I
> imagined he's be okay switching, but the NTT guy insisted that some
> sort of set-up was necessary.
I hate them! I have talked with a saleman of Yodobashi camera. I asked
him if I can make a "home server" with B-Flets, then he gave me a blank
look. Of course he didn't know what is a dynamic IP, static IP, DHCP, Linux.

NTT ( not NTT-Docomo ) knows that from 2010 when all TV will be
digitalized, their dialog lines will become less popular. So what they
want to do is get as much as they can users using their new lines. The
businesses it are: Digital TV and IP phones.