Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Keith Bawden wrote:

The fact that the link is shared has never had a discernible impact on
my experience.

It really depends on how many other users there are in your building, and what their usage patterns are. I know someone in a large building (something on the order of a hundred apartments) that sees performance problems on a regular basis.

When you install the hikkari then a compatible router should be
provided with the service (usually a part of your monthly fee pays for
this router).

Best to check. We just finished the B-Flets install in our office yesterday, and Asahi did not provide us with a router (nor did we want one). This is possibly because we didn't go for the IP-phone service.

Your OS is of no concern here. All OSes will happily speak the same
"language" on the wire.

If you don't have a router, it can be a concern. My NetBSD boxes won't bring up a PPPoE connection with Asahi Net. The reason is a bit interesting, actually, and I'll describe the details here if anybody is interested and understands the PPPoE protocol well enough to at least read the tcpdump output.

Tis why you can ping a Windows box from a Linux box...

That's IP level. Your router or, if you're connecting directly, host, needs to understand PPPoE as well. This is generally not a problem.