Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

On 9/6/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Keith Bawden wrote:
> It really depends on how many other users there are in your building,
> and what their usage patterns are.

Of course. Tis why I said in my experience.

> I know someone in a large building
> (something on the order of a hundred apartments) that sees performance
> problems on a regular basis.

It is this sort of case that the NTT and Usen blokes indicated that a
second line would be put in. They may of been speaking through their
hats though.

> Best to check. We just finished the B-Flets install in our office
> yesterday, and Asahi did not provide us with a router (nor did we want
> one). This is possibly because we didn't go for the IP-phone service.

The thread was about home usage (or at least I think it is). I cannot
imagine a home package not coming with a compatible router for the
service on offer.

A business line is of course a totally different kettle of fish. for
example a business USEN line will come with a media converter (fibre
to copper) and nothing else. Plugging your box directly into the media
converter works as USEN also provides DHCP services directly.

> > Your OS is of no concern here. All OSes will happily speak the same
> > "language" on the wire.
>
> If you don't have a router, it can be a concern.

This is true. I suppose I should have clarified that I was talking
about your standard home setup with an ISP provided router between
your home LAN and the net.

> > Tis why you can ping a Windows box from a Linux box...
>
> That's IP level. Your router or, if you're connecting directly, host,
> needs to understand PPPoE as well. This is generally not a problem.

Again I was talking about having your boxes on a standard LAN behind a
router. I was trying to address the concern of "will my Linux box work
with a fiber connection". So to clarify, yes you Linux box will work
if you are behind the (usually) ISP provided router.

> That assumes you have a router. You'll need to do a PPPoE setup if you
> don't have one.

I think most of us assumed a router and a home standard home setup.
Also, PPPoE setup may not be required in all cases (read the bit about
how USEN does it above).

> Asahi Net gives you a free static IP, and does not filter SMTP.

I'm a happy customer of Asahi net as well :-)

Regards, Keith