Re: [tlug] [OT] US Civil War: Deliverance

Josh Glover wrote:
On 21/08/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

Chattanooga would have been outsiders also.
Translated into the local dialect, would that be "Y'all fum ovah, t'
otha hollah."?

Close. You don't need the comma. An Appalachian native would render it thusly: "Y'aaaaall frum ova t'utha haawluh?"

The comma was a relic of an attempt to accurately capture one specific mountain dialect, in which the speakers say "from over there" or "from over thataways" but I couldn't remember whether it was on the Virginia or the Kentucky side. I forgot to excise the comma when I removed the extraneous word.

--
CL