Re: [tlug] [OT] US Civil War: Deliverance

On 22/08/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> The comma was a relic of an attempt to accurately capture one specific
> mountain dialect, in which the speakers say "from over there" or "from
> over thataways" but I couldn't remember whether it was on the Virginia
> or the Kentucky side.  I forgot to excise the comma when I removed the
> extraneous word.

:)

Those Appalachia dialects are fun. I am a native of Appalachia, though
not from holler culture, and even I can have a hard time understanding
some of them. We had fun in a linguistics course that I took in uni
when we were studying the Appalachian dialects, because I could render
all of them from IPA *perfectly*, having grown up around people who
use the dialects we were studying.

But this thread has probably wandered into Lingo-land now. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh