Re: [tlug] [OT] US Civil War

On Saturday 18 August 2007 00:33, burlingk@example.com wrote:
>> Still, when I watch Civil War movies, my heart is with the
>> boys in grey. Sorry, it is what's in the non-logical part of
>> my brain (which some might claim is most of it).
>
>As you said, it was not a just war.  It was an act of
>agression on the part of those who felt they could
>ignore large parts of their own constitution and history.

How is the Civil War taught in Southern schools? Growing up in a
Northern state, the spin that i remember being taught is that the war
was started because of a number of differences between North and South,
the biggest of which was slavery. And on the slavery issue, i was
taught that the rich Southern cotton plantation owners were basically
evil people who wanted to continue owning other humans. Since these
wealthy owners had so much power, it took a civil war to fix the
problem. Now, i know what is taught in elementary school is a gross
oversimplification, but it was reduced to a simple good guys (the
North) versus bad guys (the South) conflict, with the good guys winning
in the end. How is the Civil War taught in the South? I realize the
view i was taught is very biased and smacks of "the winners write the
history books", so i'd be interested in hearing an executive summary
view of how the war is taught in the Southern states.