Re: [tlug] [WAY-OT] US politics: Dog bites man [1]

On Saturday 18 August 2007 21:25, jep200404 wrote:
>Maybe you have heard talk in ther US media, especially around the
>2004 elections, of folks so upset with US politics, that they say
>they will move to Canada. Maybe you've heard such talk in person.
>Most of them are just blowing off steam, but some do leave the US.
>Some go to Japan.

I do not like the direction the US is going and have considered leaving
myself, as have many of my friends. The biggest problem for me is
choosing a place to go to that will be noticeably better. What little
i've read of the politics of New Zealand is encouraging to me, and they
speak a language so close to the American English i grew up with that
i'd just have to pick up the local slang to be able to communicate
fully. But one of my big reasons for studying Japanese is that if i can
learn that language well enough to be able to function at a minimal
level, then i will have confidence that i am able to learn any language
and so i'd not have to limit my search for a new home just to
English-speaking nations. Plus Japan would become an option; the cheap
bandwidth, great food, and more rich culture there are certainly not
unappealing.

>Expatriation is a filter. Folks who feel strongly enough to
>move abroad, are likely to keep talking about their reasons for
>moving.

Your explanation makes sense and is not something i had considered.
Thank you!