Re: [tlug] What would happen to the Internet if the US fell off the map

Josh, Steve,

Thanks for responding.

Manifest to other experts, yes. But the value in expertise is
precisely that the expert can make valid statements that non-experts
can't evaluate with a reasonable amount of effort.
Well yes, but that doesn't mean that non-experts should never expect to attempt an evaluation or seek further clarification.

Otherwise, if experts aren't prepared to defend their statements, all sorts of silliness can occur. Consider that you can go down to the Pink Cow in Shibuya once a month and get astrological readings from a person with a PhD. I don't care if they had a Nobel prize... no credential is going to convince me of astrology.

As for the whole video editing situation, I only ever brought up my credentials as a video editor as a rebuttal to the declaration that because I found Linux video editing tools unsatisfactory, then I must *therefor* not be skilled in video editing.

But outside of that, anything I say about anything will _come out_ of my level of expertise on that matter, not _rest on_ it. I basically think anyone with any kind of expertise or credential can and should do the same.

Otherwise we might as well ask someone to read the stars for what to do next.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G