[tlug] What would happen to the Internet if the US fell off the map

Just dropped a spam--sent to this list--on the floor with the above
subject line.

Thought-provoking, だよね。

I think the answer is: nothing.

We would see high latencies and plenty broken routes for at least a
few hours, maybe lasting a few days (a few weeks would be doubtful) as
the Internet routed around the US. DNS would get crushed at first as
many (most?) of the root servers are in the US, but they would quickly
be replaced.

As for resources, well, between Google and the Wayback Machine, I
think we could replace most of those, as well.

So I think DARPA succeeded beyond their wildest dreams in building a
communications network that could survive Nuclear Armageddon.

cf. http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/Translations:When_Sysadmins_Ruled_the_Earth

--
Cheers,
Josh