Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 09/07/07, david.blomberg@example.com
<david.blomberg@example.com> wrote:

While normally hard to disagree with much that Josh has to say.

Actually, none of the stuff you are disagreeing with came from me. :)

Which is why lines like this are useful:

"On 08/0707 15:59, Ken <burlingk@example.com> wrote:"

> When they first created DOS, it WAS Gates that did most of
> the work on that project.

Created? Actually bought it was a shareware version from my
understanding.

It was not shareware, it was a commercial product; but yes, the product that became MS-DOS was originally called QDOS:

"MS-DOS began as QDOS (for Quick and Dirty Operating System), written
by Tim Paterson for computer manufacturer Seattle Computer Products
(SCP) in 1980. It was marketed by SCP as 86-DOS because it was
designed to run on the Intel 8086 processor. 86-DOS function calls
were based on the dominant CP/M-80 operating system, written by
Digital Research, but it used a different file system. In a sequence
of events that would later inspire much folklore, Microsoft negotiated
a license for 86-DOS from SCP in December 1980 for $25,000, then
re-licensed 86-DOS to IBM. Microsoft then acquired all rights to
86-DOS for only $50,000 from SCP in July, 1981, shortly before the
PC's release." [1]

As for the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.  They do some good but
they do a lot of bad.  Democracy Now ran some news on it a few months
back, (they are pretty far left but you need some balance to go with the
rest of the news) that showed the Gate foundation donates to pharms and
others causing harm more than 10 X the amount they give to the poor. The
same went for Buffet and the rest.  The only reason mentioned was that
those investments had a good return rate.

I have more of a bone to pick with Big Pharma than most, but I would really question your data.

The Wikipedia article appears pretty balanced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

Check out the Criticisms section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation#Criticisms

I really have no problem with any of that, not in light of the
tremendous amounts of money being brought to bear, in what I consider
a very efficient and reasonable fashion, on global poverty and health.

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms-dos#History