[tlug] Package dependency problems

Brian Chandler writes:

 > I tried all over again, and also tried with Synaptic, but still get the
 > same error messages:

That's why they call it automatic.   The results are easily
reproducible.  (Of course, you konly notice when the result you're
reproducing is undesirable....)

 > This seems to mean that the printer driver(s) need a later version of
 > the C library than the one "to be installed". But I don't understand why
 > a later one couldn't be "to be installed". Is this an upgrade decision I
 > have to make myself.

Yes.  It would seem that somewhere some messages are crossed.

(1) Are you installing from the network, or from CD?  You want to
install from the network.

(2) What version of Ubuntu?  It's possible that the drivers and
supporting libraries you want are "testing" or "development" versions,
and therefore not yet available in the stable release, which is
probably what you're using.  I don't use Ubuntu, so I can't help with
the details, but it is possible to install pre-release packages by
configuring your package manager to download and install them.