Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux toWindows?

Godwin Stewart writes:

 > Agreed. How much of that spam is sent from *nix desktop systems?

Only that sent by spammers who worry as much about the security of
their systems as you do about yours.<wink>

My point is that in today's environment Dave's expectation that when
he installs software it will "just work" is quite understandable.
*Even Debian does it*, and somebody else beat me to the bug report and
the package maintainer is acting puzzled that anybody would object to
runaway software if it saves them a few keystrokes.

If you want to convince Dave and the many like him that the road to
hell (as spelled "spammer heaven") is paved with such software, well,
I'm with you.  It is not likely to succeed if you act like he's being
wilfully blind by holding those expectations, though.  You have enough
work to do to demonstrate that it's reasonable for a non-BOFH-geek to
go through the effort of setting up and starting daemons and learning
about their configuration.