Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux toWindows?

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Keith Bawden wrote:

sudo smbclient -L 192.168.whatever.that.ip.was -U usernameonthatXPbox -W theworkgroupname

I have not used smbclient for some time now but as far as I can remember you do not need root privs to run it to query a remote box.

No. In fact the only thing you need root privs for with even with smbd is to listen on ports 139 and 445. If you can get around that*, you can run smbd as yourself (albeit without being able to chroot) and just connect via "\\192.168.1.10\foo"-style paths on Windows.

* Footnote: blocking the ability for non-root users to listen on ports
<= 1024 is an old security feature that made sense in the days of
minicomputers that served both as servers and the work machines of a
bunch of directly logged-in users, but is fairly pointless in a world of
single-user workstations where the users have root access anyway.

This block can usually be turned off through varous kernel mechanisms.
On my NetBSD kernels, I usually set "options IPNOPRIVPORTS" to disable
this.

cjs